Monday, May 23, 2011

Journal #3

I chose to focus on the symbols we recognize for food items (except the “no-smoking” sign, although it’s closely related). These symbols make products easy to recognize in the grocery store or wherever you may find them, they identify themselves as part of a company. Not only are these symbols identifiers of their brand name, but each has a unique value in the minds of consumers that comes from a combination of past experiences, personal tastes, and brand positioning. I took a bit of a different approach to this assignment, but I believe these logos are also symbols that society has come to recognize and attach a value to.
1)     The Icee logo I found on my cup can also be seen in windows of various gas stations, letting the reader know this sweet treat is available inside.
2)     I found this “no-smoking” sign on my school campus. It lets us know that smoking is not allowed in the area. It is not only a symbol but an icon.
3)     This McCormick brand logo was found on a spice packet in my family’s pantry. I see this brand often in my pantry so I’m thinking that my mom recognized it in the grocery store, had good feelings towards the company, and bought it. (I’m moving out in a month!)
4)    I had this Coca-Cola bottle top in my box where I keep things that inspire me visually. You would have to work very hard to find someone anywhere in the world who wouldn’t recognize this symbol. Even though it is simply text, the font, spelling with hyphen, and specific red color still make the same impact as Coke’s bottle shape icon.
5)     The previously wide-spread Starbucks logo is still extremely well-known. The green hue is a major part of the design, although it is printed as black on this food bag and on their napkins.
6)    The new Starbucks logo is very similar, (on my frappachino cup!) except it is always printed larger than they had previously had their logo, and the “Starbucks Coffee” text that used to surround the girl is gone. Personally I do not like this new logo. It feels unfinished because there is no boarder around it, and I had not noticed that the girl’s arms look so weird until they had to print it so large. Of course, they will probably change the design of the girl in the future as they have in years past. Changing a company logo is risky however, since consumers get used to the original design.
7)    The McDonald’s “M.” It consists of one letter, and two colors. And somehow it has been marketed enough so that most of humanity sees this and instantly thinks of the fast-food restaurant.
8)     This Nestle’ box of cocoa chocolate was found in my pantry. When I get the urge to make cookies I look for this print, yellow color, and Toll House house symbol for a bag of chocolate chips, they have the best recipe on the back! (Just cut the amount of chips in half though.)
9)     My family is brand-loyal to Prego for spaghetti sauce, so this was found in my pantry. Again, it is easy to find in the grocery store even though it’s simply the name, font, and colors used in this symbol.
10) This brand of alcoholic beverages is recognized by its font, color, and name. There is also a circled “k” symbol near the top of the bottle.
11) This next logo doesn’t even need a name next to it to be recognized as Pepsi. The design and combination of colors point readers to the brand name.
12) Betty Crocker even has her own symbol, iconic in the way that it is a spoon, associated with cooking and baking. It is not only the spoon that is recognizable, but the unique font and white color.
13) Kraft’s Macaroni and Cheese has recently changed their box design (yes, I pay attention). They have previously used the yellow-to-orange fading colors, but I’m pretty sure they are now using a new font, and that they want the noodle that looks like a smile to be a part of their brand recognition.
14)This Pringle’s box was found in my pantry. I have noticed a lot of food-related brand logos use a red hue, which is found to stimulate appetite.
15) I like this Sweets Handmade Candies logo—it is stylish and shows the creativity of the business. Sweets also uses this same purple color on their bags. This was found on their business card that I posted on my bulletin (they’re sooo good!).

No comments:

Post a Comment