Friday, May 27, 2011

Journal #5

I created these images trying to keep them simple enough for mass production, but also so that they would bring art into the space. The women and men’s bathroom signs have a similar design, the woman’s uses loops and curvy lines and the symbol looks like a flower while the men’s bathroom uses straight lines and looks more like a dynamite explosion. I chose a pink palliate for the girls for its world-wide association with the female sex and dark blue, red, and grey for the men. I chose the dark blue because it is associated with the male sex around the world, red because it is associated with males in France. These symbols will also be an index, seeing as they are to be at the door of the bathrooms.
The janitor’s closet sign has a background of wood and shows an array of supplies and tools that can be found on the other side of the door. The brown wood background gives a sense of physical labor work. I chose a teal-green color to shade the supplies in because it adds a feeling of environmental responsibility (with the cleaning products used). This image has a symmetrical balance; it almost looks like little cubbies for choices in janitorial items.
The executive washroom sign is light and clean-feeling with its pink bubbles, baby blue background, and off-white soap. I’m thinking it could be near the symbol for either men or women’s bathrooms to signal an executive restroom, especially because it incorporates both pink and blue. I really wanted a fun and airy feeling with this symbol. It uses symmetrical balance.
For a fire extinguisher sign I drew a fire, and foam/water shooting at it. I chose red, black, orange and yellow for the fire symbol, and blue for the foam or water. The background is grey not only so that there are not too many colors but it also represents the smoke that comes with the fire. Inspired by all the arrows I have noticed recently, there is even an arrow in the foam pointed towards the fire. The lines from the beginning of the foam expand also show movement towards the fire.
For the exit sign I re-vamped the traditional arrow. I used green colors as if to say, “go!” Not only does the arrow itself symbolize direction, but the way the lines in the arrows are rising from the lower corner and rising to the head of the arrow suggest movement.
My parking garage symbol is one of my favorites. (The other would be the fire-extinguisher.) I drew a road swirling into a cute little interpretation of a house or garage; however it looks more like a house, indicating that you and your car will be safe. At the end of the road there in an “x” showing that you are to stop, the inside of the garage is also red, also indicating a stop. Outside the garage is green, and has some circles, both indicating “go, go, go!” I think it will be clearly understood, especially as an index placed in traffic of on a parking building.

No comments:

Post a Comment