Saturday, May 21, 2011

Journal #4

Arrows. Since about 25,000-50,000 BC they’ve been around; over the centuries meaning has been attached to them and embedded in the minds of the human race. Arrows can be used for so many things, and we all seem to instinctively know what they are communicating to us. When I first read this assignment I thought, “Arrows? Twenty different arrows?” but as I began to look for them I experienced what Phil Patton had experienced (http://www.aiga.org/content.cfm/setting-sights-on-the-arrow), I began to see arrows everywhere. They were in everything, around the corner, lurking secretly everywhere I passed, even up in the tree tops. Soon I had more than enough arrows to choose from, so I put them in a collage. Here is what I found: (#1 is in the upper left-hand corner)

1)     I found this arrow on the sliding glass doors that gave entrance (or exit) to the cafeteria at my community college. The arrows are directing us to physically push open the doors if there is a fire.
2)     The arrow in this sign “Cash for Books” was also found on my college campus, in fact, right beside the cafeteria. This arrow is directing us in which way to go to sell our text books.
3)     This arrow was found on a water-bottle machine (also on campus!) and I was actually pretty excited when I found it since it’s so inconspicuous and small. It’s directing people where to insert coins.
4)     The Chevron arrow…was found at a Chevron gas station. [Oh--it was kind of awkward taking this picture (most all of the pictures were awkward to take actually), people were looking at me so I pretended to be trying to send a text.] This arrow is part of Chevron’s logo, telling its readers what company they are about to be mugged from.
5)     The “Automatic Door, Keep Moving” arrow was found right above the #1 arrow, on the sliding-glass cafeteria doors. [I ignored its command and stopped moving to take the photo, however, the door kept moving so it became sort-of a game.] This arrow lets the readers know that the door will move for you, and directs traffic to continue walking for everyone’s convenience and safety.
6)     This next arrow was found taped on the inside window of the bookstore on campus. It directs its readers to keep walking to the “new” door. [I’ve been there for TWO YEARS and have always been told to use the “new” doors.]
7)     This arrow I found in the shade, it is from part of my house’s rooftop. It’s not directing or anything, just an organic arrow.
8)     This is a painting my sister gave me (with the octopus). The arrow is at the tip of the anchor. It is an organic arrow and is not meant as a signal, just a hook.
9)     I found this arrow on my house door lock. You might think that it points to “lock” or “unlock,” but really, it just points to wherever the lock is pointed already, so I’m not positive this triangle is meant as a directing arrow.
10) The arrow in this picture can be found on the volume button on a TV remote. These arrows symbolize “up” or “down”.
11) Arrows are often on the tops of medicine bottles, and that’s where I found these. They instruct to push down and turn to open.
12) Glancing at my folder I had out, the letter “A” seemed to look like an arrow. This “arrow” doesn’t direct or communicate except that in it is part of a letter.
13) This arrow is on the timer function of our house fan. It allows the reader to see where exactly they are setting the time on the dial for.
14) On a menu, Lucille’s had put together a number of small images to make what looks like an arrow symbol. It draws attention to the alcohol on the beverage list.
15) This is a street sign, a photo I captured *kahem* not while driving. It indicates that the road ahead turns.
16) These arrows are drawn on my calendar, to show a continuation of travel dates. (The green arrow after this photo is simply added as part of the collage design since I already had 20 photos).
17) The fence at a park in Auburn, CA makes the shape of an arrow. Though not directly, the “arrow” is perhaps saying “stay out.”
18) This next arrow is hard to see in this photo (sorry! Another awkward “why is this girl taking a picture of that?” moment!) but it is an emergency exit map. This arrow points the way in case of a fire.
19) Found in a cooking booklet, in “you’re home, you’re world,” the “o” has a rooftop above it, which makes an arrow. This is a design used in the advertisement.
20) Again, a little bit tricky to see in this small photo, but there is an arrow at the end of the text box which says, “CREATE like crazy” on one of my sketchbooks. It is a design element but it is also saying, “turn the page!”
I’ve found arrows don’t just say one thing, but in context can say many different things. Arrows direct you to push, pull, insert here, go, stay away, turn, look at this, and more. An arrow can lead you to safety or identify a brand name. The arrow is the ultimate director, a symbol understood across the country and across cultures around the world.

No comments:

Post a Comment